Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Almost 39 weeks

We had our weekly appointment yesterday. Nothing too exciting. I dilated a bit more and am now 50% effaced. Rowan dropped further, but not enough to make the doctor excited. My blood pressure was borderline high...no good...my doula thinks it was because I was super sick last week and my body used its "reserve nourishment" to make up for things which is causing high blood pressure. I'm not having much swelling, headaches, protein in urine, or any other signs of toxemia or preeclampsia so that is good. I'm going to try upping my protein intake and eating more fruits and veggies to help get it back down. We'll see if it works when I go back on Monday.
He did offer to pretty much induce me anytime I want to. He said the baby is a good size, lungs are ready, and my body is progressing so he has no problem inducing. Derek and I however do have a problem with that. We told him no thanks and we would rather him come when he's ready. A natural birth with pitocin will be a lot harder than without. I'm afraid though that if my blood pressure doesn't go down next week he will insist on being induced. If that is the case of course I would say yes because I don't want to endanger my son, it's just not my ideal way of starting labor.
I'm just so thankful that we educated ourselves before the big day. I feel good that we've done everything we can to let Rowan have a healthy start on life. I think the biggest thing I've learned is to do your own research. Doctors don't know everything and have biased opinions on what they think works best. So the lesson of the day is form your own opinions based on research and your doctors knowledge.

No comments: